Connect with us
us-consulate-donates-books-worth-$24,000-to-koladaisi-university us-consulate-donates-books-worth-$24,000-to-koladaisi-university

Business

US Consulate donates books worth $24,000 to KolaDaisi University

From left, pro-chancellor and chairman of council, KolaDaisi University, Ibadan (KDU-I), Professor, Adeniyi Osuntogun(OFR); public affairs officer, US Consulate, Lagos, Mr Stephen Ibelli; busar, KDU-I, Mr Yinka Babatunde, and deputy public affairs officer, US Consulate, Lagos, Jennifer Foltz at the event.

In its efforts to boost the learning structure in the Nigerian education system and knowledge that the students receive, the United States Consulate General, Lagos, has donated a collection books worth $24,000 to KolaDaisi University (KDU), Ibadan.

The public affairs officer of the US Consulate, Lagos, Mr Stephen Ibelli, who made this known on Wednesday, last week, while speaking to newsmen during his official visit and book donation to KDU, described the initiative as one of the best effective ways to help the university.

Speaking further, he noted that the move was not profit-driven, saying “we don’t think like that, that is not our matter. We are not interested in the bottom line. All we want is to invest in people and the university education; their development and future.

“The profit for us is the turnout of the investment in the students of KDU; or the learning that is going on and the knowledge that the students are receiving. That is what really makes us happy; that’s what brings us to work everyday,” Mr Ibelli said.

Expressing his joy at what KDU is doing in making education accessible to Nigerian students, he noted that the US Consulate was impressed with what the university is doing and really wanted to help by working  with the university, hence, the reason the university was asked to identify a need and that need was books.

“We felt donating the books was the best approach to partnering with KolaDaisi University. The faculties themselves identified the books they wanted. We ordered for them and out of a total of 234 books that were ordered at the rate of  $24,000, we already have 80 per cent delivered while we await the remaining 20 per cent,” Mr Ibelli added.

“Many of these books are very difficult to get or find. So, we used our diplomatic resources and permission to bring those books into the country in a much faster way that would have been normal.”

Mr Ibelli assured the institution of the US Consulate’s hope of continuous partnership with the university  through its Fullbright programme, where Americans will come to KDU or KDU will send its scholars to America to study.

While responding, the vice chancellor of the University, Professor Adeniyi Olatubosun, said the gesture would no doubt “strengthen our capacity in building up students and graduates who will be employable when they get out of the university. Also, it will promote our research profile as well as the development of humanity.”

He appreciated the US Consulate, Lagos, for their act of benevolent and philanthropy to KDU, while charging agencies and those who have the means to emulate what US Consulate is doing, saying “that is the way we can drive our system, equip our students and have great future for this country.”

In his remarks, the pro-chancellor and chairman of council, Professor, Adeniyi Osuntogun(OFR)  lauded the  US Consulate and appreciated Mr Ibelli, and his team for taking special interest in the university, noting,  “this is going to bring more opportunities to the university.”

He charged the students to handle the books with care and also ensure they learn from them.

YOU SHOULD NOT MISS THESE HEADLINES FROM NIGERIAN TRIBUNE

We Have Not Had Water Supply In Months ― Abeokuta Residents

In spite of the huge investment in the water sector by the government and international organisations, water scarcity has grown to become a perennial nightmare for residents of Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital. This report x-rays the lives and experiences of residents in getting clean, potable and affordable water amidst the surge of COVID-19 cases in the state.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *